Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Aroi MAK!

I've had a special request to bring back the food pictures, so without further ado, I present to you... what I've eaten over the past few days:

This is THE BEST FRIED RICE IN THE WORLD. It was also, by far, the best meal I've had in the three months that I've been here, and I've had some amazing food. I don't know how the woman did it, but every bite was an explosion of flavor in my mouth and I was so sad when I finished it. The second my housemate and I finished eating it last night, we decided we were going back to get it again tonight. I woke up thinking about it, and it's all we talked about all day. This fried rice alone is worth a trip to Thailand... seriously.


This salad is yet another one of the amazing things Thailand has to offer. Like the fried rice, it's hard to imagine it's even half as delicious as it is. It's the dressing (or "salad cream", as they call it) that really clenches it. I don't know what it is, but it's sweet and yellow and I can eat it by the spoonful. It goes almost TOO well with the sweetness of the corn, taro, and pumpkin in the salad. I don't care what you say, that dressing even puts ranch to shame.


One of the Thai teachers had this dish for lunch the other day, and as usual, she forced me to try it. And by forced, I mean she saw me drooling over it and offered me some before I exploded. It's called Pad Kana Moo Grob and is my new favorite Thai dish. When I first got here, I was all about the noodles. Now I'm all about the rice. I'm not sure what kind of sauce this is fried in, but it's kind of sweet and super flavorful. There's also A LOT of garlic thrown in there, which is right up my alley. Moo grob means crispy pork but I've yet to find out for sure what part of the pig it is. It's a little bit sweet and a little bit fatty, but not too much of either. It's my new favorite meat... I get it in everything now!


This is a crab stick donut. Yes, crab. And mayo. And it was just as disgusting as it sounds. I knew it would be but it was staring me in the face and screaming my name so I couldn't resist. How many people can say they've had a crab donut before?? When in Thailand...


Stay tuned to see more of what's making me fat.

More importantly, I've got a busy weekend ahead and my camera will most definitely be accompanying me. Thursday is the Loy Krathong celebration at school, complete with traditional Thai costumes and the 'releasing' of krathongs in our school's pool (aka swamp). On Saturday, my school is hosting an inter-school English competition (storytelling, skits, spelling bee, etc.) and I'll be the word reader for the spelling bee. On Sunday, one of the Thai teachers offered to bring me to a wat a bit north of here and to show me the parts of Saraburi that I haven't seen yet. After that, we're planning to go see a soccer game at the stadium in town. Then, (if I haven't fallen asleep yet) we'll go to the Loy Krathong festival (Sunday is the actual Loy Krathong Day) and see all of the krathongs in the river and eat all of the delicious food specially prepared to the occasion. Lots to look forward to... I'm so excited!

1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMM! I would love to be there w/ you tasting some of them. The descriptions make my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete