Friday, January 7, 2011

Nama Tweme

I'd been telling my parents about the kids at Future Light for months, so they were so excited to finally head up to Mae Sot and see things for themselves. As I opened the gate to the school, I was immediately swarmed by 33 smiling kids begging for hugs. I quickly found myself smiling from ear to ear and it didn't take long for my parents to follow suit.

These kids never cease to impress me. When we arrived on that first day, they were on school holidays. Tadalie (the oldest girl) was teaching the rest of the kids a lesson to make up for that lost time in school. I don't know what I was more impressed with- the fact that every single kid was giving Tadalie their undivided attention, or the fact that a 13 year old was able to HOLD their attention.


The six youngest kids had their lesson taught by Ita's (the house mother's) niece. I could tell they were antsy, but they still sat (relatively) still, payed attention, and did all of their work. Show me an American 6 year old who is that disciplined and I will bow down and kiss your feet.


Tadalie's a strict grader!


Chili playing the drum while rocking his new Nikon jogging suit...


Susa, Chator, and I!


Tastee Subs make you strong! Think they'll mail me some subs if I do an advertisement for them?


Nunu, Susa, and I think my Dad and I are in there somewhere too...


Clearly, my Mom is the civilized one out of the three of us. While my Dad and I played outside, she and JoJo worked hard on making a whole world out of clay. Which they did ALL day.


I'm starting to think Tada doesn't know how to stop smiling =)


We gave the kids glow sticks one night and they only stopped playing with them when they were told it was bedtime. They were definitely a hit!


My parents, just outside of Future Light, watching the sunset over Burma.


We got official "Future Light Home School" t-shirts printed for all of the kids and the staff. I designed them, a family friend printed them (thank you, Fana!), and my parents lugged them all the way across the world. They were months in the making, so I was so happy to finally have them in my hands. I was even happier to see how good they looked on everyone, especially when the kids accessorized with those awesomely big and grateful smiles they like to wear =)


Susa being a ham, as usual...


Adam looking nice and healthy... check out all that hair!


I swear Chator gets cuter every time I go up there...


The older girls were fascinated by a growing Christmas tree my parents brought for them. When I told them it was brought here from America just for them, I thought they were going to explode from excitement.


Naychee LOVED my parents, and the feeling was definitely mutual! She gets my vote for "Most Improved" since the first time I was there.


We gave the kids bubbles but they went through them pretty quickly. Being the little geniuses that they are, they made their own replacement bubbles out of water and soap... and dirt.


Bubbles and short sleeves in front of a Christmas tree? Welcome to winter in Thailand!


I think I've been replaced...


Solid proof that even my mom had an amazing time... all dressed up AND posing!?!


My Dad lit up by the headlights of a motorbike as the sun sets over Burma... the perfect end to a perfect few days in Mae Sot =) Nama Tweme, Future Light!


Coming up next: New Year's in Chiang Mai!

1 comment: