Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas in Bangkok

This year, I got the two best Christmas presents I could ever ask for- a visit from my parents and the chance to help and spend time with some amazing families in Bangkok. The visit from my parents was courtesy of my entire life's savings and the opportunity to help those families was courtesy of the amazing Dwight Turner (who will henceforth be referred to as Saint Dwight). Saint Dwight is the patron saint of Bangkok slums, and has been helping a (rather large) handful of families put food on their tables and money in their landlords' hands. He took it upon himself to make Christmas special for these families and asked for some help in making it possible. That's where I come in. I "sponsored" two families and was rewarded by getting to spend Christmas just hanging out and getting to know them. My parents arrived on Christmas Eve, so the three of us headed to Bangkok on Christmas morning to enjoy the first leg of what turned out to be an amazing two week tour around Thailand.

On a normal day, these families struggle to put food on their tables. On Christmas, there was so much extra food that the kids fed it to the birds.


How could you not smile with that cutie in your arms?


Enjoying some french fries near the river in Lumpini Park.


Bird-feeding is now a spectator sport.


Holding his ground while the birds close in...


Christmas dinner for the birds!


They took a time out from bird-feeding to be hams for the camera...


They're all such beautiful kids.


Enthralled by Harry Potter in Thai... who wouldn't be!?


Donations, donations, donations...


...donations, donations, donations...


I'm thousands of miles from home but I still got to spend Christmas with one big, happy family!


You can read more about the day here and contact St. Dwight or myself if you'd like to help these families out!

Stay tuned for the next stop on our tour de Thailand- Mae Sot! Where my parents got to meet my favorite kids =)

No comments:

Post a Comment