Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mingalaba, again

Yesterday was a National holiday in Thailand so I had a nice, long weekend. I took the opportunity to go visit the kids at Future Light for a few days. I just got back early this morning and I miss them already! I'm counting down the days until I get to see them again in just two weeks. There have been A LOT of changes since I was there last, and I was so happy to see the kids healthier and even happier this time around. They got BEDS and finished building their new school, which I must say, looks absolutely amazing. I was sad to see that Jota and the oldest boy, Poeweioo, are no longer living there. They've both been reunited with their fathers and still living in the area though, so I can only imagine they're very happy =)

The kids making good use of the new school and learning Christmas songs.


They were being taught the Spanish lyrics to 'Feliz Navidad' by a Thai teacher, so you can only imagine how much I was enjoying the "interpretation" of the lyrics...


The beautiful Tadalie...


Last time I was here, it took Mumu almost my entire stay to warm up to me. This time, she was the first to run up to me and give me a hug when I got there and she was constantly by my side. She seemed much happier and not so reserved this time around. It looks like she's learning to stand up for herself rather than fill the traditional, submissive Burmese woman's role. I couldn't help but smile every time I saw her smile, because that was such a rare thing for her just a few months ago.


The older boys learning some "break dance" moves... hilarious.


Nini and Tazioo... all smiles, all the time.


She's definitely not lacking a personality...


The boys still attempting to learn these dance moves...


Tadalie, again.


Future Light's resident beauty queen... this boy owns the catwalk.


Falling into the old routine of playing with my iPhone. They were happy to see I got some more games since last time!


Chili =)


Ready to learn!


PoKwah just hanging out, nice and comfortably. These kids are all gymnastics prodigies.


Cuties...


Ninja


Too cool for the ninja fight going on the background...


It was an 11 hour bus ride (each way) to see these kids, but clearly, they're more than worth it. I think it's pretty obvious why =)

2 comments: