Friday, August 27, 2010

Kuala Lumpur

Since my luggage is STILL lost and my camera was just about dead by the time I got off the plane, I've been savoring the last of the battery. I went a bit north of KL today to the Batu Caves, which were amazing. It's a sacred place for Hindus and you have to climb up about 300 stairs to get to the temples inside the caves. There's a HUGE golden statue outside right next to the stairs, and seeing it made me remember exactly why I came to Asia in the first place. Needless to say, I used up the last of my battery there!

The entrance to the whole area


The statue and the start of the stairs


The caves are filled with monkeys that are known for attacking the people that go there. They'll try to eat all of your food so they actually sell things to feed them at the start of the stairs. I learned the hard way that they don't like when you get in their faces to take their picture- one of them scratched my leg and scared me away with his big fangs!


No shoes allowed in the temples. These were a little boy's flip flops- I thought they looked so cute!


There are statues all throughout the caves... I believe these are Hindu gods?


Me, looking as exhausted as I felt. And sporting my new one-size-fits-all Malaysian shirt. It's too small on me, if you can believe that! I think the guy who took this for me accidentally hit the white balance button, which is why it's so blue.


Masjid Jamek- one of the oldest mosques in KL. It looks awesome during the day, and it's even prettier all lit up at night! It's 2 blocks away from my hostel and the first thing I saw when I got off the train on my first day here. I took this while they were praying... I feel like that probably wasn't allowed...


I definitely prefer KL at night... it's so pretty when it's lit up! And the fact that it's 10 degrees cooler doesn't hurt either.


No comments:

Post a Comment